Sunday, August 14, 2011

This is the Wonderful Part....Right?

So, as I was saying, we got married, with no real fanfare involved.  After our wedding, we ventured off on our honeymoon.....to Vermont...in January.

Yeah, January.  You should have seen the car....haha.  There were balloons everywhere, writing on the windows, the hubcaps were covered in pink and blue paper, cans were tied to the back.  And oh yes, there were condoms on the gear shift....provided by my Dad!!  The way the car was decorated, you'd have thought it was a completely different couple driving away than the ones who attended the "wake" inside.

OH! But wait...I almost forgot!  I need to give a little background on the house where we actually held our so called reception.  You see, it was my Ex's parent's house.  It was and is a large house (6000 sq ft).  The problem is that it hasn't exactly been well cared for over the years...and 17+ years ago was no exception.

I am going to try to put this delicately.

Ah, forget it...there is no better way to say this:

When we walked out of her parents' home to our car to go on our honeymoon after our wedding reception, there were congratulations all around.  The guests were throwing rice, they were happy and celebrating.  All was right with everything.

Until...

I happened to notice that the guests at the wedding were all holding their noses and were squinting rather oddly...and they seemed to be treading through mud.

At least, they thought it was mud.  The truth of the matter is that all of the people who attended our wedding "reception" were walking through a field of human waste.

Yes, my friends, they were walking through a pool of @&#!, to be politically correct.

Imagine it for yourselves for just a moment...I'll wait.

...
.......
............

Ok, so you have the image in your head?  Not pleasant, right?

We will be revisiting this home in the future, my friends.  And there is a lot more to come; however, we must keep this story moving, so from here we go to our honeymoon.

As I mentioned, it was in Vermont in January of 1994.  Let me let you think about Vermont in January for a moment, and you decide if you think it would be a good honeymoon spot or not.

Now, having said that, I take the blame for picking this particular place, because yes, it was my idea to go to Vermont for our honeymoon....in January.

The reason I chose that particular place was because we (my parents, sister, and brother) had spent many family vacations there.  I loved the place.  They had a male and female Golden Retriever who were gorgeous, they cooked for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; there were all kinds of activities....it was totally relaxing and serene.  And my Ex loved the idea of going there for our honeymoon.

We left and were all too quickly enveloped in a ice storm.  We realized we had to pull off for the night, so we chose a hotel off the interstate.

Then, the wedding night came.  Yes, we were both virgins.  We were saving ourselves for marriage; however, we pushed our wedding date up because my sister and sister-in-law were both pregnant and would be due very soon.  They had to be able to travel (very pregnant) to be in our wedding.

That night was spent (after an unceremonious, um, meeting of the minds) with my Ex sleeping on the floor of our hotel room.

We finally arrived at our destination in Vermont at 11:30 PM, a day late.  I told the proprietor the reason that we were late getting there (the ice storm) and asked about not having to pay for the previous day.  Well....that didn't fly, and we had to pay for the whole day anyway, even though there was no possible way we could have been there.

Anyhow, we stayed in Vermont for about a week.  We then went to our new home in Massachusetts, which is where I was born and raised.  We started out living in a one-bedroom apartment that was half underground.  There were a couple of very small windows up near the ceiling, but when the snow got deep you couldn't see outside at all.

To say that my Ex hated living there would be an understatement.  She didn't just hate the apartment itself, she hated living in Mass all together.  That winter was hard, and she was away from her family.  It was very cold and there was LOTS of snow. 

So....after living in Mass for about a year, we decided to move to NC, where my Ex is from.

Once moving back, we ended up in her uncle's basement.  Yeah..glamorous, right?  Oh, the basement...and babies.  There would be lots of babies to come.

When you hear from me next, you will learn all about the basement we lived in and the journey that beginning a family would take us on.

Trust me, you really don't want to miss it! 

Be sure to follow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment